The Exodus of Israel. The departure of the Israelites from
Egypt under the guidance of Moses. We now speak of the Exodus of
Ireland —i.e. the departure of the Irish in large numbers
for America; the Exodus of the Acadians —i.e. the
expulsion of these colonists from Nova Scotia in the reign of George
II.; etc. (Greek, ex odos, a journey out.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Exodus from Infoplease:
- Passover - Celebration and history of Passover|Learn about the history of Passover and the traditions associated with it
- Torah - Torah Torah [Heb.,=teachings or learning], Hebrew name for the five books of Moses—the Law of ...
- exodus: meaning and definitions - exodus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Exodus - Exodus Exodus , book of the Bible, 2d of the 5 books of the Law (the Pentateuch or Torah) ascribed ...
- Exodus - The Bible Exodus Ch. 1: Now these are the names of the children of… Ch. 2: And there went a ...