The Duke of Exeter's daughter was a sort of rack invented by
the Duke of Exeter during the reign of Henry VI. (Blackstone.)
“I was the lad that would not confess one word ... though they
threatened to make me hug the Duke of Exeter's daughter.” —Scott:
Fortunes of Nigel, xxv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Exeter from Infoplease:
- Phillips Exeter Academy - Phillips Exeter Academy Phillips Exeter Academy , at Exeter, N.H.; coeducational; chartered 1781, ...
- Exeter - Exeter Exeter , city (1991 pop. 88,235) and district, Devon, SW England, on the Exe River. It is ...
- Exeter: meaning and definitions - Exeter: Definition and Pronunciation
- Joseph of Exeter - Joseph of Exeter Joseph of Exeter, fl. c.1190, English poet who wrote in Latin. He is best known ...
- Exeter - Exeter The Duke of Exeter's daughter was a sort of rack invented by the Duke of Exeter during ...