Exaltation of the Cross
A feast held in the Roman Catholic Church, on
September 14th, to commemorate the restoration of the cross to Calvary
in 628. It had been carried away by Khosroes the Persian.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Exaltation of the Cross from Infoplease:
- Exaltation of the Cross - Exaltation of the Cross A feast held in the Roman Catholic Church, on September 14th, to ...
- ember days - ember days ember days, in the Western Church, traditionally the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday ...
- cross: In Christianity - In Christianity The most frequent use of a cross is among Christians, to whom it recalls the ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: E - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "E"
- Months - Months January. So called from “Janus,” the Roman deity that kept the gates of heaven. ...