(The). Rome. Virgil makes Jupiter tell Venus he would
give to the Romans imperium sinë finë (an eternal empire). (Æneid, i. 79.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Eternal City from Infoplease:
- Eternal City, The: meaning and definitions - Eternal City, The: Definition and Pronunciation
- Eternal City - Eternal City (The). Rome. Virgil makes Jupiter tell Venus he would give to the Romans imperium ...
- Peter Blume - Blume, Peter Blume, Peter , 1906–92, American painter, b. Russia. Blume emigrated to the ...
- Rome, city, Italy - Rome Rome, Ital. Roma, city (1991 pop. 2,775,250), capital of Italy and see of the pope, whose ...
- Eunice Tietjens: The Most-Sacred Mountain - Space, and the twelve clean winds of heaven, And this sharp exultation, like a cry, after the slow six thousand steps of climbing! This is Tai Shan, t