East seaxë (the territory of the East Saxons).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Essex from Infoplease:
- Essex, Anglo-Saxon kingdom - Essex Essex, one of the early kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England. It was settled probably in the early ...
- Essex, county, England - Essex Essex, county (1991 pop. 1,495,600), 1,520 sq mi (3,938 sq km) SE England, on the Thames ...
- Essex: meaning and definitions - Essex: Definition and Pronunciation
- Devereux: meaning and definitions - Devereux: Definition and Pronunciation
- Essex, Walter Devereux, 1st earl of - Essex, Walter Devereux, 1st earl of Essex, Walter Devereux, 1st earl of, 1541?–1576, English ...