(Latin, Esculapius). A disciple of Esculapius
means a medical student. Esculapian, medical. Esculapios, in
Homer, is a “blameless physician,” whose sons were the medical
attendants of the Greek army. Subsequently; he was held to be the “god
of the medical art.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Esculapios from Infoplease:
- Esculapios - Esculapios (Latin, Esculapius). A disciple of Esculapius means a medical student. Esculapian, ...
- Hippolytos - Hippolytos Son of Theseus (2 syl.), King of Athens. He was dragged to death by wild horses, and ...
- Sacrifice - Sacrifice Never sacrifice a white cock, was one of the doctrines of Pythagoras, because it was ...
- Panace'a - Panace'a A universal cure. Panacea was the daughter of Esculapios (god of medicine). The name ...
- Speaking Heads - Speaking Heads and Sounding Stones. (1) Jabel Nagus [mountain of the bell ], in Arabia ...