(5 syl.). A philosopher of Crete, who fell asleep in a cave
when a boy, and did not wake again for fifty-seven years, when he
found himself endowed with miraculous wisdom. (Pliny: Natural
History.) (See Rip Van Winkle.)
“Like Epimenides, I have been sleeping in a cave; and, waking, see
those whom I left children are bearded men.” —Bulwer Lytton (Lord
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Epimenides from Infoplease:
- Epimenides - Epimenides Epimenides , fl. 6th cent.? B.C., Cretan prophet and miracle worker. According to one ...
- Epimenides - Epimenides (5 syl.). A philosopher of Crete, who fell asleep in a cave when a boy, and did not wake ...
- Encyclopedia: Ancient History, Greece: Biographies - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Ancient History, Greece: Biographies.
- Sleeper - Sleeper (The). Epimenides, the Greek poet, is said to have fallen asleep in a cave when a boy, and ...
- Sleeping Beauty - Sleeping Beauty From the French La Belle au Bois Dormante, by Charles Perrault (Contes du Temps). ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring