or Ephors. Spartan magistrates, five in number, annually
elected from the ruling caste. They exercised control even over the
kings and senate.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ephori from Infoplease:
- Ephori - Ephori or Ephors. Spartan magistrates, five in number, annually elected from the ruling caste. They ...
- Federalist No. 63 - To the People of the State of New York:
- Federal Farmer VIII - Before I proceed to examine the objections, I beg leave to add a valuable idea respecting representation, to be collected from De Lo[l]me, and other a
- Federal Farmer VII - In viewing the various governments instituted by mankind, we see their whole force reducible to two principles—the important springs which alone move
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: E - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "E"