The 6th Dragoons; instituted 1689, on account of their brave
defence of the town of Enniskillen, in favour of William III.
This cavalry regiment must not be confounded with the Inniskillings
or Old 27th Foot, now called the “1st battalion of the Royal
Inniskilling Fusiliers,” which is a foot regiment.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Enniskillens from Infoplease:
- Enniskillen - Enniskillen Enniskillen , town (1991 pop. 10,429), Fermanagh dist., SW Northern Ireland, on ...
- Lady Enniskillen - Lady Enniskillen (Nancy MacLennon) Age: 80 widow of the sixth Earl of Enniskillen, Scotland. She ...
- Enniskillens - Enniskillens The 6th Dragoons; instituted 1689, on account of their brave defence of the town of ...
- Fermanagh: meaning and definitions - Fermanagh: Definition and Pronunciation
- Fermanagh - Fermanagh Fermanagh , district (1991 pop. 50,250), 656 sq mi (1,699 sq km), SW Northern Ireland. ...