So called from the factory at Enfield where it is made.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Enfield Rifle from Infoplease:
- Enfield rifle: meaning and definitions - Enfield rifle: Definition and Pronunciation
- Enfield Rifle - Enfield Rifle So called from the factory at Enfield where it is made. Source: Dictionary of Phrase ...
- Enfield: meaning and definitions - Enfield: Definition and Pronunciation
- Rifle - Rifle is from the German reifeln (to hollow into tubes). In 1851 the French minié rifle was ...
- Becoming a Civil War Reenactor - What is involved in becoming a Civil War reenactor|With a lot of imagination, a little research, and a modest financial investment, you could begin the unique and satisfying hobby of Civil War Reenactor