(in Shakespeare's Othello). Wife of Iago. She is induced
by her husband to purloin Desdemona's handkerchief, which Iago conveys
to Cassio's chamber, and tells the Moor that Desdemona had given it to
the lieutenant as a love-token. At the death of Desdemona, Emilia
(who, till then, never suspected the real state of the case) reveals
the fact, and Iago kills her.
The sweetheart of Peregrine Pickle, in Smollett's novel.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Emilia from Infoplease:
- Emilia-Romagna - Emilia-Romagna Emilia-Romagna , region (1991 pop. 3,909,512), 8,542 sq mi (22,124 sq km), N central ...
- Reggio Emilia: meaning and definitions - Reggio Emilia: Definition and Pronunciation
- Emilia-Romagna: meaning and definitions - Emilia-Romagna: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de - Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de , 1852–1921, ...
- To Emilia Viviani - The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelleyby Percy Bysshe Shelley From the Arabic: An ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring