In the Black Dwarf, by Sir Walter Scott, are seven of
that name, viz. Halbert or Hobbie Elliot, of the Heugh-foot (a
farmer); Mrs. Elliot, his grandmother; John and Harry, his brothers;
and Lilias, Jean, and Arnot, his sisters.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Elliot from Infoplease:
- Minto: meaning and definitions - Minto: Definition and Pronunciation
- Minto, Gilbert John Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 4th earl of - Minto, Gilbert John Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 4th earl of Minto, Gilbert John ...
- Cass Elliot - Biography of Cass Elliot, The big member the pop group The Mamas & The Papas
- John Elliot Cairnes - Cairnes, John Elliot Cairnes, John Elliot , 1823–75, Irish economist, a follower of John ...
- James ELLIOT - James ELLIOT (1775-1839) ELLIOT, James, a Representative from Vermont; born in Gloucester, Mass., ...