Sir John Maundeville, speaking of the Pool of Siloe, says,
“Fast by is the elder-tree on which Judas hanged himself. when he sold
and betrayed our Lord.” Shakespeare, in Love's Labour's Lost, v.
2, says, “Judas was hanged on an elder” (See Fig-Tree.)
Judas he japed
With Jewish siller,
And sithen on an elder tree
Hanged himself ... when
Piers Plowman: Vision.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Elder-tree from Infoplease:
- Elder-tree - Elder-tree Sir John Maundeville, speaking of the Pool of Siloe, says, “Fast by is the ...
- Fig-tree - Fig-tree It is said that Judas hanged himself on a fig-tree. (See Elder-Tree.) “Quæret ...
- The Elderbush - Andersen's Fairy Tales The Leap-Frog The Bell The Elderbush Once upon a time there was a little ...
- Guelder Rose - Guelder Rose is the Rose de Gueldre, i.e. of the ancient province of Guelder or Guelderland, in ...
- William Shakespeare: Titus Andronicus, Act II, Scene III - He that had wit would think that I had none, To bury so much gold under a tree, And never after to inherit it. Let him that thinks of me so abjectly K
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring