Paradise, the country and garden in which Adam and Eve were
placed by God (Gen. ii. 15). The word means delight, pleasure.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Eden from Infoplease:
- Eden: meaning and definitions - Eden: Definition and Pronunciation
- Garden of Eden - Eden, Garden of Eden, Garden of, in the Bible, first home to humankind. In it were the trees of ...
- Eden, rivers, England and Scotland - Eden Eden, name of several rivers in England and Scotland. The principal one rises in Cumbria, N ...
- Emily Eden - Eden, Emily Eden, Emily, 1797–1869, English novelist. She went with her brother George, Lord ...
- Eden, Anthony, 1st earl of Avon - Eden, Anthony, 1st earl of Avon Eden, Anthony, 1st earl of Avon , 1897–1977, British ...