Eat not the Heart
This is the 30th Symbol in the Protreptics of Iamblichus.
Pythagoras forbade judges and priests to eat animal food at all,
because it was taking away life. Other persons he did not wholly forbid
this food, but he restricted them from eating the brain (the
seat of wisdom) and the heart (the seat of life).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Eat not the Heart from Infoplease:
- Eat not the Heart - Eat not the Heart This is the 30th Symbol in the Protreptics of Iamblichus. Pythagoras forbade ...
- heart: meaning and definitions - heart: Definition and Pronunciation
- Canto 4 - The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelleyby Percy Bysshe Shelley Canto 3 Canto 5 Canto 4 ...
- The Crisis - The Crisisby Carrie Chapman Catt Atlantic City NJ 1916 I have taken for my subject, "The ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: E - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "E"