A weed which floats on the surface of stagnant water and
forms a harbour for insects which ducks feed on. Its Latin name is
“Lemna;” Greek, limne (a stagnant pool).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Duckweed from Infoplease:
- duckweed - duckweed duckweed, any plant of the genus Lemna and sometimes of related genera. Duckweeds are tiny ...
- duckweed: meaning and definitions - duckweed: Definition and Pronunciation
- Duckweed - Duckweed A weed which floats on the surface of stagnant water and forms a harbour for insects which ...
- The Master said, 'Tsang Wan k... - Confucian Analects The Master said, 'Yen P'ing k... Tsze-chang asked, saying, 'Th... ...
- FLOWERING PLANTS - Known as angiosperms (which means “seed cases”), flowering plants produce seeds inside the swollen base of the FLOWER, the ovary. Flowering plants mak