(2 syl.). Le père Duchésne. Jacques Réné Hébert, chief
of the Cordelier Club in the French Revolution, the members of which
were called Hébertists. He was called “Father Duchésne,” from the name
of his vile journal. (1755-1794.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Duchesne from Infoplease:
- Louis Marie Olivier Duchesne - Duchesne, Louis Marie Olivier Duchesne, Louis Marie Olivier , 1843–1922, French Roman ...
- Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne - Duchesne, Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne, Saint Rose Philippine , 1769–1852, French educator ...
- Duchesne - Duchesne (2 syl.). Le père Duchésne. Jacques Réné Hébert, chief ...
- Hébert: meaning and definitions - Hébert: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jacques René Hébert - Hébert, Jacques René Hébert, Jacques René , 1757–94, French ...