(The three). One catastrophe, one locality, one day. These are
Aristotle's rules for tragedy, and the French plays strictly follow
The French have added a fourth, one style. Hence comedy must not be
mixed with tragedy. Addison's Cato is a good example. Unity of
style is called the Unity of Uniformity. Shakespeare disregards all
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dramatic Unities from Infoplease:
- dramatic unities: meaning and definitions - dramatic unities: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dramatic Unities - Dramatic Unities (The three). One catastrophe, one locality, one day. These are Aristotle's ...
- Juan de la Cueva - Cueva, Juan de la Cueva, Juan de la , 1550?–1610?, Spanish dramatist, one of the precursors ...
- Richard Wagner: Assessment - Assessment Wagner's operas represent the fullest musical and theatrical expression of German ...
- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing - Lessing, Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, Gotthold Ephraim , 1729–81, German philosopher, dramatist, ...