means the “duck-king.” The old English word end means a
duck, and end-ric becomes 'dric, drake. Similarly the German
tauber-rich is a male dove, and ganse-rich, a male goose,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Drake from Infoplease:
- Drake's Bay - Drake's Bay Drake's Bay, inlet of the Pacific Ocean, formed by the San Andreas fault, W ...
- drake: meaning and definitions - drake: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alfred Drake - Drake, Alfred Drake, Alfred, 1914–92, American singer, actor, and director, b. New York City, ...
- ducks and drakes: meaning and definitions - ducks and drakes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Joseph Rodman Drake - Drake, Joseph Rodman Drake, Joseph Rodman, 1795–1820, American poet and satirist, b. New York ...