A German swindler, who obtains money under the promise of
finding buried wealth by a divining rod. (Scott: Antiquary.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dousterswivel from Infoplease:
- Dousterswivel - Dousterswivel A German swindler, who obtains money under the promise of finding buried wealth by a ...
- Divining Rod - Divining Rod A forked branch of hazel, suspended by the two prongs between the balls of the thumbs. ...
- Glory Hand - Glory Hand In folk lore, a dead man's hand, supposed to possess certain magical properties. ...
- Introduction - The Surprising Adventures Of Baron Munchausenby Rudolph Erich Raspe Travels of Baron Munchausen ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: D - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "D"