or Dottrel. A doting old fool; an old man easily
cajoled. The bird thus called, a species of plover, is said to be so
fond of imitation that any one who excites its curiosity by strange
antics may catch it.
To dor the dotterel.
Dor is an archaic word meaning to trick or cheat. Whence the phrase
to “dor the dotterel” means to cheat the simpleton.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dotterel from Infoplease:
- dotterel: meaning and definitions - dotterel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dotterel - Dotterel or Dottrel. A doting old fool; an old man easily cajoled. The bird thus called, a species ...
- plover: meaning and definitions - plover: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index don dona donable Donald Donar donate Donatello donation donation land Donatist ...
- plover - plover plover , common name for some members of the large family Charadriidae, shore birds, small ...