(See Dead.) Scrooge's partner is “dead as a
door-nail.” (Dickens. Christmas Carol, chap. i.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Door Nail from Infoplease:
- Door Nail - Door Nail (See Dead.) Scrooge's partner is “dead as a door-nail.” (Dickens. ...
- doornail: meaning and definitions - doornail: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dead - Dead Dead as a door-nail. The door-nail is the plate or knob on which the knocker or hammer ...
- Similes - Similes in common use: BALD as a coot. BITTER as gall,soot. BLACK as ink, as a coal, as a crow ...
- Marley's Ghost - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens The First of the Three Spirits - 2 Marley's Ghost MARLEY ...