Donation of Pepin
(The). When Pepin conquered Ataulf the ex-archate of
Ravenna fell into his hands. Pepin gave both the ex-archate and the
Republic of Rome to the Pope, and this munificent gift is the famous
“Donation” on which rested the whole fabric of the temporal power of
the Popes of Rome (A.D. 755).
Victor Emmanuel, King of Italy, dispossessed the Pope of his
temporal dominions, and added the Papal States to the united kingdom of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Donation of Pepin from Infoplease:
- Donation of Pepin - Donation of Pepin (The). When Pepin conquered Ataulf the ex-archate of Ravenna fell into his hands. ...
- Adrian I, pope - Adrian I Adrian I, d. 795, pope (772–95), a Roman; successor of Stephen IV. At Adrian's ...
- Romagna - Romagna Romagna , historic region, N central Italy, bordering on the Adriatic Sea in the east, now ...
- Marche, region, Italy - Marche Marche or the Marches,region (1991 pop. 1,429,205), 3,742 sq mi (9,692 sq km), E central ...
- Lombards - Lombards Lombards , ancient Germanic people. By the 1st cent. A.D. the Lombards were settled along ...