Preaching friars founded by Dominic de Guzman, at Toulouse, in
1215. Formerly called in England Black Friars, from their black
dress, and in France Jacobins, because their
mother-establishment in Paris was in the Rue St. Jacques.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dominicans from Infoplease:
- Afghanistan to Dominican Republic - Afghanistan to Dominican Republic Information Please® Database, © 2008 Pearson Education, ...
- Dominican: meaning and definitions - Dominican: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dominican Republic: meaning and definitions - Dominican Republic: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dominicans - Dominicans Dominicans , Roman Catholic religious order, founded by St. Dominic in 1216, officially ...
- Dominican Republic - Information on Dominican Republic—geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.