(Greek). A religious doctrine formally stated. It now means a
statement resting on the ipse dixit of the speaker. Dogmatic
teaching used to mean the teaching of religious doctrines, but now
dogmatic means overbearing and dictatorial. (Greek dogma, gen. dogmatos, a matter of opinion; verb dokeo, to think, whence dogmatizo.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dogma from Infoplease:
- dogma: meaning and definitions - dogma: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dogma - Starring Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Linda Fiorentino, Salma Hayek, Jason Mewes
- Dogma - Dogma Director/Writer: Kevin Smith Lions Gate Films; R; 125 minutes Release: 11/99 Cast: Ben ...
- Dogma - Dogma (Greek). A religious doctrine formally stated. It now means a statement resting on the ipse ...
- dogmatize: meaning and definitions - dogmatize: Definition and Pronunciation