A corruption of dodgewatch: two short watches, one from four to
six, and the other from six to eight in the evening, introduced to dodge the routine, or prevent the same men always keeping watch at the same time. (See Watch.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dog-watch from Infoplease:
- Dog-watch - Dog-watch A corruption of dodgewatch: two short watches, one from four to six, and the other from ...
- dogwatch: meaning and definitions - dogwatch: Definition and Pronunciation
- Watch on Board Ship - Watch on Board Ship There are two sorts of watch- the long watch of four hours, and the dog watch ...
- Vesper Hour - Vesper Hour is said to be between the dog and the wolf; “betwixt and between,” neither ...
- Hymn to Mercury - The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelleyby Percy Bysshe Shelley Homer's Hymn to ...