(4 syl. g=j). The cynic philosopher is said to have
lived in a tub.
The whole world was not half so wide
To Alexander when he cried
Because he had but one to subdue
As was a paltry narrow tub to
Butler Hudibras i. 3.
Romanus IV. emperor of the East (1067-1071).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Diogenes from Infoplease:
- Diogenes: meaning and definitions - Diogenes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Diogenes - Diogenes Diogenes , c.412–323 B.C., Greek Cynic philosopher; pupil of Antisthenes. He was ...
- Diogenes - Diogenes (4 syl. g=j). The cynic philosopher is said to have lived in a tub. The whole world was ...
- Romanus IV - Romanus IV Romanus IV (Romanus Diogenes), d. 1072, Byzantine emperor (1068–71). A Cappadocian ...
- Carneades - Carneades Carneades , 213–129 B.C., Greek philosopher, b. Cyrene. He studied at Athens under ...