A non-business day. A law phrase, meaning a day when the
courts do not sit, as on Sundays; the Purification, in Hilary term; the
Ascension, in Easter term; St. John the Baptist, in Trinity term; and
All Saints, with All Souls, in Michaelmas term. A contracted form of
“Dies non juridicus,” a non-judicial day.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dies Non from Infoplease:
- dies non: meaning and definitions - dies non: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dies Non - Dies Non A non-business day. A law phrase, meaning a day when the courts do not sit, as on Sundays; ...
- James Ellis - James Ellis Age: 45 computer scientist who was a creator of Usenet, an international network of ...
- Fasti - Fasti Working days; when, in Rome, the law'-courts were open. Holy days (dies non), when the ...
- Gregory - Gregory (A). A school-feast, so called from being held on St. Gregory's Day (March 12th). On ...