(A). A glass vessel with a large body and small neck,
enclosed in wickerwork like a Florence flask, and containing more than
a bottle. (French, dame-jeanne, “Madam Jane,” a corruption of
Damaghan, a town in Persia famous for its glass works.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Demijohn from Infoplease:
- demijohn: meaning and definitions - demijohn: Definition and Pronunciation
- Demijohn - Demijohn (A). A glass vessel with a large body and small neck, enclosed in wickerwork like a ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Dem demagnetize demagogic demagogue demagoguery demagoguism demagogy demand ...
- The Averted Triumph - Woman suffrage and politicsby Carrie Chapman Catt and Nettie Rogers Shuler How the Woman Suffrage ...
- Louisa May Alcott: Heartache - Whatever his motive might have been, Laurie studied to some purpose that year, for he graduated with honor, and gave the Latin oration with the grace