Lorettes, courtezans. Le beau monde means
“fashionable society,” and demi-monde the society only half
“Demi-monde implies not only recognition and a status, but a
certain social standing.” —Saturday Review.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Demi-monde from Infoplease:
- Demi-monde - Demi-monde Lorettes, courtezans. Le beau monde means “fashionable society,” and ...
- Alexandre Dumas (Dumas fils), 1824–95, French dramatist and novelist - Dumas, Alexandre Dumas, Alexandre, known as Dumas fils, 1824–95, French dramatist and ...
- July 27 Birthdays: Alexandre Dumas - July 27 birthdays: Alexandre Dumas, Norman Lear, Peggy Fleming, Bharati Mukherjee, Leo Durocher
- Free Lances of Life - Free Lances of Life (The). The Aspasias of fashion. The fair frail demi-monde. Source: Dictionary ...
- Sacha Guitry - Sacha Guitry (Alexandre-Georges Pierre Guitry) actor, director, playwright, screenwriter Born: ...