Air: Ariel, Elves (singular, Elf). Caves or Caverns:
Hill-people (Hög-folk, hög = height). Corn: Ceres (2 syl.)
Mercury (Greek, Hermes). Evening: Vesper.
Three in number (Greek, Parcæ, Moiræ, 2 syl., Keres). Fire:
Vulcan (Greek, Hephaistos, 3 syl.), Vesta, Mulciber. Fairies: (q.v.).
Three in number (Greek, Eumenides, 4 syl., Erinnyes) Gardens:
Priapus, Vertumnus with his wife Pomona. Graces (The): Three in
number (Greek, Charites).
Trolls. There are also Wood Trolls and Water Trolls. (See below
Mountains.) Home Spirits (q.v.): Penates (3 syl.), Lares (2
Diana (Greek, Artemis). Infernal Regions: Pluto, with his
wife Proserpine, 3 syl. (Greek, Aides and Persephone). Justice:
Themis, Astræa, Nemesis.
Cupid (Greek, Eros). Marriage: Hymen. Medicine:
Æsculapius. Mines: Trolls.
Aurora (Greek, Eos). Mountains: Oreads or Oreades (4
syl.), from the Greek, oros a mountain; Trolls. Ocean (The):
and Music: Apollo, the nine Muses. Rainbow (The):
Plutus. Shakespeare speaks of “Plutus' mine,” (Julius Caesar,
iv. 3). Rivers and Streams: Fluviales, 4 syl. (Greek,
Potameides, 5 syl.).
Neptune (Greek, Poseidon, 3 syl.), his son Triton, Necks, Mermaids,
Nereids (3 syl.). (See Sea.) Shepherds and their
Flocks: Pan, the Satyrs.
Springs, Lakes, Brooks, etc.: Nereides or Naiads (2 syl.). Time:
Saturn (Greek, Chronos).
Mars (Greek, Ares), Bellona, Thor. Water-nymphs: Naiads (2
syl.), Undine (2 syl.). Winds (The): Æolus.
Bacchus (Greek, Dionysos).
Minerva (Greek, Pallas, Athene or Pallas-Athene). Woods:
Dryads (A Hama-Dryad presides over some particular tree),
Wood-Trolls. Youth: Hebe
Of course this is not meant for a complete list of heathen and pagan
deities. Such a list would require a volume.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Deities from Infoplease:
- deity: meaning and definitions - deity: Definition and Pronunciation
- Amon, Egyptian deity - Amon Amon , Ammon, or Amen, Egyptian deity. He was originally the chief god of Thebes; he and his ...
- The Infoplease Crossword Puzzle: Deities - by Kelly Ann Buchanan Solve our weekly interactive crossword puzzle! Click "Reveal" for ...
- The Deity (Il Divo) - Starring Toni Servillo, Anna Bonaiuto, Piera Degli Esposti, Paolo Graziosi, Giulio Bosetti
- Krishna, Hindu deity - Krishna Krishna [Sanskrit,=black], one of the most popular deities in Hinduism, the eighth avatar, ...