—i.e. D for a detective. Look sharp! the dees are
(Dr. John). A man of vast knowledge, whose library,
museum, and mathematical instruments were valued at pound £2,000. On
one occasion the populace broke into his house and destroyed the
greater part of his valuable collection, under the notion that Dee held
intercourse with the devil. He ultimately died a pauper, at the
advanced age of eighty-one, and was buried at Mortlake. He professed
to be able to raise the dead, and had a magic mirror, afterwards in
Horace Walpole's collection at Strawberry Hill (1527-1608).
or mirror, in which persons were told they could see their
friends in distant lands and how they were occupied. It is a piece of
solid pink-tinted glass about the size of an orange. It is now in the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dee from Infoplease:
- dee: meaning and definitions - dee: Definition and Pronunciation
- John Dee - Dee, John Dee, John, 1527–1608, English mathematician and occultist. He was educated at ...
- Dee, rivers, Scotland - Dee. Dee. 1. River, c.90 mi (140 km) long, rising in the Cairngorms, Aberdeenshire, E Scotland, and ...
- Dee, river, Wales - Dee Dee, Welsh Dyfrdwy, river, c.70 mi (110 km) long, rising in the Cambrian Mts., Gwynedd, NW ...
- Johnny Dee - Johnny Dee Age: 75 head men's basketball coach at Notre Dame from 1964-71 who led the team to ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring