(Effie), in Scott's Heart of Midlothian, is Helen
Walker. She is abandoned by her lover, Geordie Robertson [Staunton],
and condemned for child-murder.
Half-sister of Effie Deans, who walks all the way to London to
plead for her sister. She is a model of good sense, strong affection,
and disinterested heroism. (See Walker.)
“We follow Pilgrim through his progress with an interest not inferior
to that, with which we follow Elizabeth from Siberia to Moscow, and
Jeanie Deans from Edinburgh to London.” —Lord Macaulay.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Deans from Infoplease:
- dean: meaning and definitions - dean: Definition and Pronunciation
- Forest of Dean - Dean, Forest of Dean, Forest of, ancient royal forest (c.30,000 acres/12,141 hectares), ...
- Silas Deane - Deane, Silas Deane, Silas, 1737–89, political leader and diplomat in the American Revolution, ...
- Mark Dean - Mark Dean Born: 1957 Birthplace: Jefferson City, Tenn. Microcomputer with bus control means for ...
- Eddie Dean - Eddie Dean (Edgar Dean Glosup) Age: 91 one of the most popular singing cowboys in the 1940s, he ...