He made a dead set at her. A pointed or decided determination
to bring matters to a crisis. The allusion is to a setter dog that has
discovered game, and makes a dead set at it.
To be at a dead set
is to be set fast, so as not to be able to move. The allusion is to
machinery. To make a dead set upon someone is to attack him
resolutely, to set upon him; the allusion being to dogs, bulls, etc.,
set on each other to fight.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dead Set from Infoplease:
- dead set: meaning and definitions - dead set: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dead Set - Dead Set He made a dead set at her. A pointed or decided determination to bring matters to a ...
- Sweet Smell of Success (1957) - Starring Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, Susan Harrison, Martin Milner, Sam Levene
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index D.A.V. Davao Davao Gulf Dave daven D'Avenant davenport David David I David ...
- Cry-Baby - Starring Johnny Depp, Traci Lords, Ricky Lake, Amy Locane, Susan Tyrrell
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring