A race to be run again between two horses that have “tied.” A
heat is that part of a race run without stopping. One, two, or more
heats make a race. A dead heat is a heat which goes for nothing.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dead Heat from Infoplease:
- dead heat: meaning and definitions - dead heat: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dead Heat - Starring Treat Williams, Joe Piscopo, Lindsay Frost, Darren McGavin, Vincent Price
- Dead Heat - Dead Heat A race to be run again between two horses that have “tied.” A heat is that ...
- The Campaign - Starring Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Sudeikis, Katherine LaNasa, Dylan McDermott
- Ralph Nader - Biography - Biography of consumer advocate and presidential hopeful Ralph Nader.