(A). A first-rate. One that would dead-beat. (See
“First-rate work it was too; he was always a dead hand at
splitting.” —Boldrewood: Robbery Under Arms, xv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dead Hand from Infoplease:
- dead hand: meaning and definitions - dead hand: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dead Hand - Dead Hand (A). A first-rate. One that would dead-beat. (See Mortmain.) “First-rate work it ...
- mortmain - mortmain mortmain [Fr.,=dead hand], ownership of land by a perpetual corporation. The term ...
- La amiga (Die Freundin) - Starring Liv Ullmann, Cipe Lincovsky, Federico Luppi, Lito Cruz, Víctor Laplace
- 2010 Pulitzer Prize Winners - Winners of the Pulitzer prize in 2010.|Awards ranging from journalism to fiction to music