(French). Supererogatory, more than enough. Rien de trop,
let nothing be in excess. Preserve in all things the golden mean. Also
“one too many,” in the way; when a person's presence is not wished for,
that person is de trop.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on De Trop from Infoplease:
- de trop: meaning and definitions - de trop: Definition and Pronunciation
- De Trop - De Trop (French). Supererogatory, more than enough. Rien de trop, let nothing be in excess. ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index des desacralize Desaix de Veygoux desalinate desalinize desalivate desalt ...
- Old Gooseberry - Old Gooseberry To play [or play up] old gooseberry. To be a third person; to be de trop. Old ...
- Notes - Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam NotesNotes [The references are, except in the first note only, to the ...