An umpire, judge, or intercessor. The word is dais-man (a
man who sits on the daïs); a sort of lit de justice. Hence Piers
And at the day of doom
At the height Deys sit.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Daysman from Infoplease:
- daysman: meaning and definitions - daysman: Definition and Pronunciation
- Daysman - Daysman An umpire, judge, or intercessor. The word is dais-man (a man who sits on the daïs); a ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index D.A.V. Davao Davao Gulf Dave daven D'Avenant davenport David David I David ...
- Job: 9 - Then Job answered and said…
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: D - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "D"