According to the Roman de Rose, Denmark means the
country of Danaos, who settled here with a colony after the siege of
Troy, as Brutus is said by the same sort of name-legend to have
settled in Britain. Saxo-Germanicus, with equal absurdity, makes Dan,
the son of Humble, the first king, to account for the name of the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Danaos from Infoplease:
- timeo Danaos et dona ferentes: meaning and definitions - timeo Danaos et dona ferentes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Danaos - Danaos According to the Roman de Rose, Denmark means the country of Danaos, who settled here with a ...
- Clear Blue Tuesday - Starring Becca Ayers, Julie Danao, Vedant Gokhale, Erin Hill, Cassandra Kubinski
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index thwack thwart Thwing thy Thyatira Thyestes thylacine thylakoid thyme thymectomy ...
- Hypermnestra' - Hypermnestra' Wife of Lynceus (2 syl.), and the only one of the fifty daughters of Danaos who ...