An Argive princess whom Zeus (Jupiter) seduced under the form
of a shower of gold, while she was confined in an inaccessible tower.
She thus became the mother of Perseus (2 syl.).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Danae from Infoplease:
- Dana: meaning and definitions - Dana: Definition and Pronunciation
- Francis Dana - Dana, Francis Dana, Francis, 1743–1811, American diplomat, b. Charlestown, Mass. Son of a ...
- Richard Henry Dana - Dana, Richard Henry Dana, Richard Henry, 1787–1879, American poet and essayist, b. Cambridge, ...
- John Cotton Dana - Dana, John Cotton Dana, John Cotton, 1856–1929, American librarian and museum director, b. ...
- Charles Anderson Dana - Dana, Charles Anderson Dana, Charles Anderson , 1819–97, American newspaper editor, b. ...