A title of honour, common with the old poets, as Dan Phoebus,
Dan Cupid, Dan Neptune, Dan Chaucer, etc. (Spanish, don.)
Dan Chaucer, well of English undefiled,
On Fame's eternal beadroll worthy to be filed.
Queene, book iv. canto ii. 32.
From Dan to Beersheba.
From one end of the kingdom to the other; all over the world;
everywhere. The phrase is Scriptural, Dan being the most northern and
Beersheba the most southern city of the Holy Land. We have a similar
expression, “From John o' Groats to the Land's End.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dan from Infoplease:
- dan buoy: meaning and definitions - dan buoy: Definition and Pronunciation
- dan: meaning and definitions - dan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dan - Dan. Dan. 1. In the Bible, son of Jacob and Bilhah and eponymous ancestor of one of the 12 tribes ...
- Steely Dan - Steely Dan band Musician/composers Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, together known as Steely Dan, ...
- Usuman dan Fodio - Usuman dan Fodio Usuman dan Fodio 1754–1817. Fulani religious and political leader. Beginning ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring