(King of). A kind of “Mayor of Garrat” (q.v.) at
Kingstown, in Ireland. A full description is given of this mock mayor,
etc., in a book entitled Ireland Ninety Years Ago.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dalkey from Infoplease:
- Dalkey - Dalkey (King of). A kind of “Mayor of Garrat” (q.v.) at Kingstown, in Ireland. A full ...
- King of Dalkey - King of Dalkey A burlesque officer, like the Mayor of Garratt, the Mayor of the Pig Market, and the ...
- 2005 National Book Critics Circle Awards - 2005 National Book Critics Circle Awards Fiction: The March, E. L. Doctorow (Random House) General ...
- Flann O'Brien - O'Brien, Flann O'Brien, Flann, pseud. for Brian Ó Nualláin or ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: K - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "K"