(Hebrew, dag On, the fish On). The idol of the
Philistines; half woman and half fish. (See Atergata.)
Dagon his name; sea-monster, upward man
And downward fish; yet had his temple high
Rear'd in Azotus dreaded through the coast
Of Palestine, in Gath and Ascalon,
And Accaron and Gaza's frontier bounds.
Milton: Paradise Lost, book i. 402.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dagon from Infoplease:
- Dagon - Dagon Dagon , god of fertility, widely worshiped in the Middle East, particularly in Canaan. In the ...
- Dagon - Starring Ezra Godden, Francisco Rabal, Raquel Meroño, Macarena Gómez, Brendan Price
- Dagon: meaning and definitions - Dagon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dagon - Dagon (Hebrew, dag On, the fish On). The idol of the Philistines; half woman and half fish. (See ...
- Dagan: meaning and definitions - Dagan: Definition and Pronunciation