Captain Cuttle. An eccentric, kind-hearted sailor, simple as a
child, credulous of every tale, and generous as the sun. He is
immortalised by the motto selected by Notes and Queries, “When
found make a note of.” (Dickens: Dombey and Son.)
“Unfortunately, I neglected Captain Cuttle's advice, and am now
unable to find it.'”
—W H Husk: Notes and Queries.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cuttle from Infoplease:
- cuttle: meaning and definitions - cuttle: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cuttle - Cuttle Captain Cuttle. An eccentric, kind-hearted sailor, simple as a child, credulous of every ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index cut cutability cut-and-cover cut-and-dried cut and fill cut-and-paste cut-and-try ...
- Bunsby - Bunsby (Jack). Captain Cuttle's friend; a Sir Oracle of his neighbours; profoundly mysterious, ...
- Three Sheets in the Wind - Three Sheets in the Wind Unsteady from over-drinking, as a ship when its sheets are in the wind. ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring