or Woman. A fortune-teller, one who professes to
discover stolen goods. (Anglo-Saxon, cunnan, to know.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cunning Man from Infoplease:
- Cunning Man - Cunning Man or Woman. A fortune-teller, one who professes to discover stolen goods. (Anglo-Saxon, ...
- Robertson Davies - Davies, Robertson Davies, Robertson (William Robertson Davies), 1913–95, Canadian writer and ...
- 2 Chronicles: 2 - And Solomon determined to build an house for…
- White Witch - White Witch (A). A cunning fellow; one knowing in white art in contradistinction to black art. ...
- William Shakespeare: Henry VI (Pt 2), Act IV - The gaudy, blabbing and remorseful day Is crept into the bosom of the sea; And now loud-howling wolves arouse the jades That drag the tragic melanchol