A gammer, gudewife, old woman. A variety of gammer which is
grande-mère (our grandmother), as gaffer is grand-père or
grandfather. It occurs scores of times in Scott's novels.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cummer from Infoplease:
- cummer: meaning and definitions - cummer: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cummer - Cummer A gammer, gudewife, old woman. A variety of gammer which is grande-mère (our ...
- kimmer: meaning and definitions - kimmer: Definition and Pronunciation
- Wood, Clement - Born at Tuscaloosa, Ala., Sept. 1, 1888, but reared in Birmingham, Ala., where he attended Taylor's Academy and Birmingham High School. Received his d
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Cs C.S.A. csardas CSC C-scroll CSEA CSF csk. C.S.O. C-SPAN CST C supply CSW CT CTA ...