Coroner —i.e. an officer of the Crown.
“The crowner hath sat on her, and finds it Christian burial.” —Shakespeare: Hamlet, v. 1.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Crowner from Infoplease:
- crowner: meaning and definitions - crowner: Definition and Pronunciation
- Crowner - Crowner Coroner —i.e. an officer of the Crown. “The crowner hath sat on her, and finds ...
- Coroner - Coroner means properly the crown-officer. In Saxon times it was his duty to collect the Crown ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index CRF crib cribbage cribbage board cribber cribbing crib-bite cribnote cribriform ...
- William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Act V - Is she to be buried in Christian burial that wilfully seeks her own salvation?