He came a cropper. He fell head over heels. To get a
cropper. To get a bad fall. “Neck and crop” means altogether, and
to “come a cropper” is to come to the ground neck and crop.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cropper from Infoplease:
- cropper: meaning and definitions - cropper: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cropper - Cropper He came a cropper. He fell head over heels. To get a cropper. To get a bad fall. ...
- sharecropping - sharecropping sharecropping, system of farm tenancy once common in some parts of the United States. ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index CRF crib cribbage cribbage board cribber cribbing crib-bite cribnote cribriform ...
- Purler - Purler (A). A cropper, or heavy fall from one's horse in a steeplechase or in the hunting-field ...