An organ stop, a corruption of the Italian cormorne,
which is the German krummhorn, an organ stop of eight feet
pitch; so called from a wind-instrument made of wood, and bent
outwards in a circular arc (krummhorn, crooked horn).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cremona from Infoplease:
- Cremona - Cremona Cremona , city (1991 pop. 74,113), capital of Cremona prov., Lombardy, N Italy, on the Po ...
- Cremona: meaning and definitions - Cremona: Definition and Pronunciation
- Amy Lowell: The Cremona Violin - Frau Concert-Meister Altgelt shut the door. A storm was rising, heavy gusts of wind Swirled through the trees, and scattered leaves before Her on the
- Cremonas - Cremonas Violins of the greatest excellence; so called from Cremona, where for many years lived ...
- Cremona - Cremona An organ stop, a corruption of the Italian cormorne, which is the German krummhorn, an ...