(A). An ill-tempered fellow; sour as a crab-apple.
To catch a crab,
in rowing. (See Catch A Crab.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Crab from Infoplease:
- crabbed: meaning and definitions - crabbed: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cancer, in astronomy - Cancer Cancer [Lat.,=the crab], in astronomy, constellation lying on the ecliptic (the sun's ...
- hermit crab - hermit crab hermit crab, a crustacean distinguished from true crabs by its long, soft, spirally ...
- blue crab - blue crab blue crab, common name for a crustacean, Callinectes sapidus, found on the S Atlantic and ...
- fiddler crab - fiddler crab fiddler crab, common name for small, amphibious crabs belonging to the genus Uca. They ...